This film started out in my Lomography Action Sampler sometime early last year. I’m not sure I’ve ever finished a film in that camera as usually, I don’t find enough opportunities to fill a roll. If you’ve not come across one before, the Action Sampler is all plastic and uses a clockwork, plastic mechanism to sequentially shoot through four (plastic) lenses onto one 36×24 image. Winding the film on also winds up the mechanism. Press the shutter, it whirs a bit and will shoot 4 images in a second or so (in an anti-clockwise pattern from top-left). Continue reading
Overlapping nicely with the 52 Rolls project, last week saw the first ‘Shoot Week’ of the #FP4Party.The plan is to shoot a roll of Ilford’s iso125 stalwart during the second week of each of the next four months, posting the results during the fourth week. I chose the Lomography Sprocket Rocket, loaded up the film and shot it in a couple of days. Continue reading
My plan for the 52 rolls project, like many of you, is to try to shoot a roll every week, within the week and post it a day or two later. I have 18 different film cameras, a couple of pinholes and a coffee can solargram to use and plan to use each one for one roll and then move onto the next.
A slight problem with this intention is that some of the cameras still have film in them. So, this weeks post contains pictures from two rolls, from two different cameras as I finish off the film that’s been in them for some time.
First up is a roll of Fuji Superior 800 (shot at 400) in a LOMO LC-A (and pulled in the lab). These cameras may be trendy, but unless you have a good one, their results can be pretty average. Mine isn’t a good one.
The first frame was shot in August 2013 and the last, on Wednesday night. Unfortunately, the last frame is a 10-shot multi-exposure as something appears to have gone wrong with the wind-on mechanism, evidenced by a couple of chewed up sprocket holes.
The second roll was shot with a Canon EOS5 between March last year, and last Saturday. It was loaded with AGFAPhoto Vista Plus 200, or ‘pound shop film’.
Both rolls were processed by AG PhotoLab in Birmingham. I posted them during my lunch break on Thursday and got them back on Saturday morning, and I paid £2.99 a roll – a great service.
Looking at these pictures, and my previous two blog entries, it strikes me that my film photographs are snapshots, and a long way removed from my digital stuff. If anything, the idea of manual cameras being a slower, more methodical process is completely reversed in my case.
Everyone is looking for something different from this project I guess, but addressing this is one of my aims – to narrow the gap in quality and subject matter between the two technologies…
I had the good fortune to visit Oxford yesterday. The trip was to visit the various exhibitions of the Oxford Photography Festival which in the event was a little disappointing (mention should be made of the Pentti Sammallahti work which was magnificently printed (although smaller than expected), some of Richard Davies’s Russian churches and Clarita Lulic’s hilarious cruise ship portraits). As we jogged between venues, we stumbled across several of Oxford’s modernist structures that are dotted amongst the dreaming spires.
I had 2 cameras with me, the shoddy Lomography Sprocket Rocket and the ‘proper’ EOS5. I burnt through a couple of films on the concrete but managed to screw up the processing of the EOS’s film as the reel stuck halfway up the tank’s tube and so processed half the film more than the other as it sat out of the developer. So, all I have to show for the trip are the pictures from the SpRocket. They were shot on Kentmere 400 (2 quid a roll kids) and processed in the sink using Ilfotec HC.
Having read up since I got back, I’ve discovered that Oxford is home to lots more fine looking buildings from the late 60’s and early 70’s – a return trip is on the cards…